neuester Beitrag: 31.03.05 23:45
eröffnet am: 20.01.05 11:07 von: big lebowsky Anzahl Beiträge: 46
neuester Beitrag: 31.03.05 23:45 von: baanbruch Leser gesamt: 8677
davon Heute: 6
bewertet mit 0 Sternen

Seite:

20.01.05 11:07

10373 Postings, 7788 Tage big lebowskyI Pod und APPLE--wie gehts weiter

Celebrate Apple's impressive iPod-fueled profits if you like. But know this: Nothing good lasts forever.

By Arik Hesseldahl

I wasn't going to write about the iPod today, but since the whole wide world seems so impressed with Apple Computer's iPod-fueled earnings--and they were impressive--I had to.

Yes, indeed, Apple's (Nasdaq:AAPL - News) little music box has done a heck of a job in boosting the company's fortunes. There are some 10 million iPods in use around the world, and if the figures in my spreadsheet are correct, it has contributed $2.8 billion in gross revenue over the ten quarters since the company started breaking out iPod sales in its results. More than 42% of that revenue came during the quarter that just ended.

· Two New Apple Toys

· Apple Bites The Fans That Feed It

· The IPod Economy

· Slideshow: The iPod Economy, in Pictures
To hear the media tell it, everyone has an iPod, and if they don't already have one, they're soon going to get one. But the fact is not everyone does. Not even by a long shot.

According to the Consumer Electronics Association, the outfit that put on the International Consumer Electronics Show earlier this month, household penetration of MP3 players--not just iPods but all brands--in the U.S. runs about 15%. That makes MP3 players one of the least popular consumer electronics product among U.S. consumers, ahead of only digital television sets, pagers and home fax machines and behind such items as liquid crystal display TV sets and satellite TV systems.

By comparison, DVD players had reached 15% penetration by January 2001, after about three years on the market. As of this year, they're now in about 75% of U.S. households.

The CEA reckons that some 7 million MP3 players were sold in the U.S. in 2004 and that another 10 million will move in the U.S. this year. By comparison, other portable audio products--portable CD and tape players and the like--sold double that number of units in 2004 and will do it again in 2005.

And while those products are on the decline--their sales peaked in 2001--they carry an average unit price of about $35. The average selling price on the iPod during Apple's latest quarter was about $264.

What the MP3 player business should expect now is a good old-fashioned price war. Apple fired a good shot to touch it off with its iPod shuffle, which starts at $99. But let's say Apple has a good year and sells a million units of the iPod shuffle, at an average price of about $115 (two-thirds at $99, the other third at $149). Add to that another 12 million units sold of existing iPods and the average price for the entire iPod family comes down only to $252.

These average prices matter. Look at DVD player sales: In 1999, U.S. consumers bought some 4 million DVD players at an average of $270 each. By 2003, they scooped up 23 million units at an average price of $138--more than five times volume at about half the price over the course of four years.

And while Apple still has the edge on quality--I've tried out about a dozen different MP3 players, and the iPod is far superior to everything else out there--that case won't always be so clear. Other manufacturers are learning from Apple's technology tricks and trying to improve upon them while undercutting on price. This means in time Apple's iPod profits will be vulnerable.

Sure Apple can innovate by adding features like video and maybe wireless connectivity. But even for a company as innovative as Apple, that well can run dry, leaving it to compete on price alone. That's a scary thought when you consider that 34% of Apple's revenue last quarter was derived from iPod sales. A sudden, unexpected shift in consumer tastes--they are a fickle bunch after all--could feel like a nasty punch in the nose.

I don't mean to sound bearish about Apple or about the iPod. But as good as Apple's latest results were, I've started to wonder how long the iPod miracle can last. Nothing this good can last forever.

ADVERTISEMENT

Special Edition Poll

Q. Do you own a portable .mp3 player?
 You bet, and I take it everywhere  
 No, but I want to get one  
 No, I have enough gadgets  
 What is an .mp3?  

view results without voting

Yahoo! Shopping

Apple iPod 20GB MP3 Player
Supports: MP3, WAV, AAC, AIFF
Price: $279.55 to $455.00

See more "mp3 player" results on Yahoo! Shopping.

--------------------------------------------------

All MP3 Players - Yahoo! Shopping

Previous Special Editions

Forbes: The 400 Richest Americans
Forbes Magazine's annaul list of the richest people in America.
BusinessWeek Online: TV Today and Tomorrow
The TV market is undergoing its biggest change in 50 years: America is becoming an HDTV nation.
Forbes: 60 Cheap Places to Live
In these 60 small towns, medium-sized cities and larger metro regions, you can live well and your dollar will go far.
Most and Least Affordable Real Estate Markets
Lima, OH and Santa Barbara, CA are at opposite ends of the spectrum.
BusinessWeek: Tech Buying Guide
For 10 years, BusinessWeek has been putting tthe coolest high-tech tools through their paces before recommending them to you.
View Other Special Editions...

20.01.05 11:13

10373 Postings, 7788 Tage big lebowskyInteressante Aspekte

aber der I POD wird jetzt auch durch Zeitschrifen bzw. Zeitungen vermarktet.

Die WELT bietet I POD mini (1GHZ) für ein 1 Jahreabo(Zuzahlung 69,--Euro)an.Das Teil kostet im Handel 229,--. Der Pick up liegt bei 160,- Euro. Das Abo kostet 336,--p.a abzüglich Discount bei Jahreszahlung von 10% und 5,-- Euro bei Bankeinzug.

Ich lese also die WELT jetzt für 297,60 und habe einen I POD für 69,-- Euro.

Not bad man.

Daher könnte der Verkauf sehr stabil bleiben. Natürlich nur, wenn alle so verfahren wie der Dude...:-))

Ciao b.l.  

21.01.05 08:23

10373 Postings, 7788 Tage big lebowskyDer I POD "light" im Test..

Welcome [Sign In]  To track stocks & more, Register  
Financial News
Enter symbol(s) BasicPerformanceReal-time MktDetailedChartResearchOptionsOrder Book  Symbol Lookup

The Wall Street Journal Online
Test-Driving the $99 iPod
Tuesday January 11, 11:20 pm ET
By Walter S. Mossberg Staff Reporter of The Wall Street Journal

At last week's Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, numerous companies were showing off gadgets aimed at dethroning the most successful electronics product of the past couple of years: Apple Computer's iPod portable digital music player. Many hoped to challenge Apple by offering smaller, lighter and less costly players than the company's lowest priced and littlest iPod model, the $249 iPod Mini.
But yesterday, at the annual MacWorld exposition in San Francisco, Apple rolled out a new addition to the iPod line that will make that task much harder. It's a tiny $99 music player called the iPod Shuffle that Apple hopes will tempt millions of lower-budget music fans to join the iPod legions when it hits store shelves later this month.

The new iPod model, which looks like a white pack of chewing gum, holds just a fraction of the songs the larger iPods can store. And it doesn't have a screen to tell you what song is playing or to allow you to navigate to a particular track. But Apple is trying to make a virtue of those limitations by promoting the new player as a way to carry a frequently changed selection of tunes you know well and to play them in random, or "shuffle" mode -- hence the product's name.

I've been testing the new iPod Shuffle for a couple of days, and, in my tests, it fulfilled -- and even exceeded -- Apple's claims for convenience, battery life and song capacity. Sound quality is so good you can barely believe the music is coming from something so small.

To get to the magic $99 price, which undercuts its major competitors, Apple has had to strip down this model so severely that it barely resembles a traditional iPod. The Shuffle lacks the iPod's two most distinctive physical features -- the screen and the famous iPod scroll wheel. The only features that mark the Shuffle as an iPod are the Apple logo and iPod name on the back, and the familiar white iPod ear buds. So the question is whether consumers will consider it a "real" iPod.

But Apple believes the low price, and its formidable marketing muscle, could well make this model another iPod hit, especially with kids and their parents for whom $249 was too much to pay.

You control the player using a five-way button pad that is circular in layout, but doesn't turn or scroll. It contains a big round play/pause button surrounded by smaller buttons for going to the next and previous track, and adjusting volume up and down. Various colored lights tell you whether the device is on play or pause, and the status of the battery.

Like the bigger iPods, the new model works with Apple's excellent iTunes software and the iTunes Music Store. A new "Autofill" feature in iTunes loads up the iPod Shuffle with exactly the right amount of music, randomly -- though you can also manually select the songs to be loaded.

The Shuffle uses cheaper, lower-capacity "flash" memory chips to store the music, instead of the small hard disk drives used by the other iPods. This puts it in direct competition with scores of other so-called flash players. But, belying its high-priced reputation, Apple has actually undercut the market.

The $99 iPod Shuffle comes with 512 megabytes of memory, which Apple estimates can hold 120 songs. Its price is well below what other name-brand flash music players with 512 megabytes cost. Models from Creative Labs, iRiver, SanDisk, Philips and others cost from $120 to $200 -- though all have screens and some other features the iPod Shuffle lacks.

A $149 model of the new iPod will also be available with twice the memory, or one gigabyte, which has an estimated capacity of 240 songs. That is also well below the price of competing players. Both models are also smaller than most other flash players, and both have rechargeable batteries, instead of the disposable ones most flash players use; the cost of disposable batteries can add up over time.

In my tests, the iPod Shuffle performed well, exceeding Apple's claims.

Apple puts the new player's battery life at 12 hours on a single charge. But, in my testing, it did much better than that, lasting 15 hours and 44 minutes.

Similarly, I found that the iPod Shuffle could hold many more songs than Apple claims. By choosing manual mode to load the player, I was able to cram as many as 188 songs onto my 512-megabyte test model, rather than the 120 Apple claims, without reducing the audio quality of the songs. That's because Apple's calculation is based on four-minute songs, but many pop and rock tunes, especially those from the '60s and '70s, are actually much shorter than that.

Even when I used the random Autofill mode to load my test player, I always got 130 to 150 songs, mainly because my library skews heavily toward artists like the Beatles, Beach Boys, James Taylor and Motown artists, whose songs rarely last four minutes.

If you have any room left over after loading your songs, you can use the Shuffle to store other files.

Like some other flash players, the new iPod doesn't require a cable to connect to a computer. Pulling a small white cap off the end reveals a built-in USB connector which plugs right into a computer. Unlike most flash players, however, this same USB connector recharges the iPod Shuffle, from the computer. The player doesn't come with a wall charger, though one will be available as a $29 extra.

A simple three-way switch on the back turns the new iPod off, or puts it into the default shuffle mode, which plays its contents randomly, or into a linear mode where the songs are played in order.

In addition to the wall charger, Apple will offer four other $29 accessories for the iPod Shuffle: an armband; a clear plastic case; a snap-on battery pack for extra playing time; and a desktop dock that attaches to the iPod Shuffle.

A sixth accessory, a white lanyard that snaps onto the iPod Shuffle so it can be hung around the neck, comes free in the box.

I can understand the allure of shuffle play, and of carrying around just a subset of your music. I most frequently use my larger iPods on Shuffle mode. And, like most people, I play favorite songs more often than others, even though my whole music collection is loaded on my bigger iPod.

But, the lack of a screen on the Shuffle would bug me, personally. I really enjoy seeing the song information while I play music. It's one of the big advantages digital music players have over playing CDs. Of course, joggers and others who listen to music while they work out won't miss the screen, because they are rarely in a position to watch it, and the fact that the Shuffle is small and lacks a delicate hard disk will make exercising with it appealing.

There are a few design downsides to the iPod Shuffle. The lack of a screen means you can't use playlists of collected songs on it, because you have no way to select such a list. For many people, play lists are a key part of the iPod experience.

The Shuffle also lacks many of the extra features of the bigger iPods, such as various equalization settings for music playback, and the ability to display calendar and contact information.

And I found the three-way mode button on the back difficult to move. I was forced to press it so tightly that I often tripped the playback controls on the other side.

Still, this is a good product that will enlarge the iPod's appeal, especially with kids, people on low budgets, or people who work out. I imagine some existing iPod owners will also buy Shuffles as sort of add-on players. And the iPod juggernaut will roll on.

21.01.05 09:46

8970 Postings, 7520 Tage bammieder I-Pod

wird unaufhörlich seine Erfolgsstory fortführen. Creative ist aber schon auf den Fersen :)

Hast du auch eine Meinung zum Mac Mini?  Alle sind zwar optimistisch, ich bin da aber eher skeptisch, obs ebenso erfolgreich wird.

Klein und fein, genau wie der ePC von HP. Dieser ist aber eher für den Business Bereich konzipiert gewesen. Vorteil ist, man kann den Anwender weitreichend in seinen Rechten beschneiden.

Für den privaten Bereich ist das eigentlich nix, groß Möglichkeiten zm Aufrüsten, sind auch nicht vorhanden. Für den Privatmann ist der Mac Mini somit mal was feines nebenbei, werden aber die Ansprüche nicht ersetzen können, m.M.

greetz  

21.01.05 10:01

10373 Postings, 7788 Tage big lebowskyDer I Pod

wird sicher erfolgreich bleiben.Ob der Mini diese Story fortsetzt--zumindest in dem wirtschaftlich erfolgreichen Umfang--ist zweifelahft. 99,-- Dollar für das Ding ist nicht wenig. Die Wettbewerber sind mehr als dran, zumal einige Features des I Pod im Mini nicht vorhanden sind.

Errreicht APPLE das Wachstumstempo nicht mehr, dann geht es down--siehe Ebay!!

Nur meine meinung

Ciao B.l.  

21.01.05 10:12

5883 Postings, 7485 Tage tafkarmir hat der mini mac knapp 200 euro verlust

beschert. an dem tag, da apple den mini mac mehr oder weniger überraschend angekündigt hat, hatte ich kurz zuvor meinen alten powermac g4 400 bei eBay eingestellt. analoge geräte schlossen fast immer um 500 euro. meiner ging jetzt für 300 weg ...

Yours sincerly, TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsRalph

21.01.05 10:57

8970 Postings, 7520 Tage bammieder I-Pod wird auf jedenfall weiterhin

das Zugpferd bleiben, das Wachstumtempo wird von deren Innovationen abhängig sein.

mittelfristig sollte Apple sehr stark sein, zumal z.b. die Idee zu BMW & Co, genial ist.
Wie sagt man so schön, zum richtigen Zeitpunkt am richtigen Ort. Das könnte sich m.E. aber auch als schwierig erweisen, der IPod ist mehr oder weniger auf die junge Generation zugeschnitten. Kann sich diese Generation einen Oberklasse Wagen leisten ?

Kleines Spagat, wenns in die Hosen geht, stimme ich zu, wird es wie ebay ergehen.

21.01.05 11:44

10373 Postings, 7788 Tage big lebowskyOder die "junge Generation"

wird immer kaufkräftiger. Der neue 1er BMW ist doch nicht ganz günstig, oder??? Auch Mini oder Audi Sportsback, die zwar noch nicht I Pod verbandelt sind, kosten ein paar Euro fuffzig.

Ich bekomme meinen I Pod fast geschenkt:-)))

Ciao B.L.  

22.01.05 00:27

8970 Postings, 7520 Tage bammiedie junge Generation ist

eher verschuldet, als das sie kaufkräftig wird.
Wenn, könnte ich mir diese als Zweitwagen für die Ehefrauen vorstellen.

Wie du schon sagst, die paar fuffzig hat der "Mann" schon :)

greetz  

22.01.05 16:22

10373 Postings, 7788 Tage big lebowskyMit Deinen Ansichten über Frauen

und Männer bist der 1. Kandiadt für ein Verfahren nach dem Antidiskriminierungsgesetz.

Vorsicht also.:-)))

Ciao B.L.

22.01.05 17:12

8970 Postings, 7520 Tage bammietja, das wäre reine

Auslegungssache :)

Außerdem war das ein Beispiel aus der Praxis. Man braucht sich doch nur umzuschauen, der Mann geht arbeiten und bezieht ein ansehnliches Gehalt, während die Frauen sich um Belange wie Haushalt und Kind kümmern bzw, aber sich auch die vielen Annehmlichkeiten des Lebens, wie den kleineren Zweitwagen oder z.b. Wellness, gönnen.  Es gibt noch viele andere Beispiele.

Das wäre doch nicht diskriminierend? ;))

22.01.05 23:49

8970 Postings, 7520 Tage bammiekomme gerade aus dem Kino

und habe mir Blade angeschaut und was sehe ich da ? Natürlich den I-Pod :)  

für die interessierten lohnt sich dieser anzuschauen ;)

23.01.05 00:31

4691 Postings, 8257 Tage calexaEinen schlechten Film

schauen nur um den iPod zu sehen? Naja, das lassen wir mal lieber....

So long,
Calexa
www.investorweb.de  

23.01.05 00:41

2646 Postings, 7264 Tage nemthoi-Pod ist der Hit

Letztes Jahr in USA gekauft, Version 4. Deutlich billiger als in Germany, inkl. iTrip. Ist natürlich nicht erlaubt in Grmany, aber super im Auto.

Die Investition hat sich gelohnt. Mein Pod ist immer und überall dabei, CD's sind alle gerippt und liegen gut verpackt im Keller.  

23.01.05 00:43

8970 Postings, 7520 Tage bammienatürlich, I-Pod in Action, was denkst du denn ;)

wer die vorherigen Teile gesehen hat, muss sich auch den letzten Teil anschauen :)

Geschmackssache calexa ;)

23.01.05 00:52

8970 Postings, 7520 Tage bammieautsch,

jetzt hast du aber dein kleines Versteck verraten ;) *g*

28.01.05 13:46

10373 Postings, 7788 Tage big lebowskyI Pod wird jetzt auch

durch den STERN als Prämie für neues Abo angeboten.

Wirklich unglaublich, welchen Siegeszug das kleine Ding angesetzt hat.  

28.01.05 13:56

7149 Postings, 8780 Tage Levkegeilster Chart überhaupt

ariva.de

31.01.05 17:38

7149 Postings, 8780 Tage Levkegähn, langweilig

mal wieder neues Jahreshoch .).  

31.01.05 20:16

679 Postings, 7400 Tage noreturn@ Levke

Jahreshoch? Machst Du Witze? Heute ist All Time High!

Möglicherweise korrigiert Apple die nächsten Tage ein wenig, und dann wird das nächste ATH in Angriff genommen  

01.02.05 06:37

8970 Postings, 7520 Tage bammieApple zur "einflussreichsten Marke" 2004 gekürt

Apple zur "einflussreichsten Marke" des Jahres 2004 gekürt

Immaterielle Vermögenswerte sind für globale Unternehmen längst zu einer harten Währung geworden -- vor allem, wenn es sich um bekannte Warenzeichen oder Markenrechte handelt; mitunter übertrifft der Börsenwert einer Firma das Vermögen allein wegen des Markennamens um ein Vielfaches. Und noch besser trifft es sich, wenn ein hinreichend bekanntes, aber lange Zeit auf Nischenprodukte fixiertes Markenunternehmen zu wirtschaftlichen Höhenflügen ansetzt. Wie derzeit Apple, das von Fachleuten der Werbe- und Marketing-Branche gerade zur "einflussreichsten Marke der Welt" des Jahres 2004 gekürt wurde.

Am meisten dürfte die insgesamt 1984 Juroren, die ihr Votum im Rahmen einer alljährlich vom US-amerikanischen Online-Magazin Brandchannel veranstalteten Leserumfrage abgaben, wohl beeindruckt haben, dass sich so ziemlich alles, was der wiedererstarkte kalifornische Computerhersteller derzeit anfasst, zur Erfolgsstory entwickelt: Eine Viertelmilliarde online verkaufter Songs über den iTunes Music Store, Millionen abgesetzter iPods, die auch unter PC-Besitzern inzwischen populärer sind als jeder andere digitale Musikplayer, nahezu 30 Prozent mehr verkaufte Rechner als im Jahr 2003, Verdreifachung des Nettogewinns gegenüber dem Vorjahr.

Abgelöst auf Rang eins der Brandchannel-Weltrangliste der wichtigsten Marken hat Apple damit den Suchmaschinen-Betreiber Google, der in den vergangenen zwei Jahren den Platz an der (Werbe)-Sonne inne hatte, diesmal aber nur den zweiten Rang belegte. Wobei die Aussagekraft der Brandchannel-Weltranglistenplatzierungen mit einiger Vorsicht zu bewerten ist: Obwohl Apple und Google lediglich in Nordamerika auf die vorderen Plätze gewählt wurden und in den drei anderen Weltregionen (Asien-Pazifik, Europa-Afrika, Zentral- und Lateinamerika) nicht in den Top-5 auftauchen, führen sie dennoch die globale Marken-Hitliste an.

Europas stärkste Marke ist laut Brandchannel auch in diesem Jahr wieder die Möbelhauskette Ikea, gefolgt von der britischen Virgin-Gruppe, dem schwedischen Textilkonzern Hennes & Mauritz sowie Nokia auf Platz vier. Rang fünf belegt hier ebenso wie in der globalen Marken-Weltrangliste überraschend der arabische Nachrichtensender Al Dschasira, der seit neun Jahren auf Sendung ist und vor allem während der Kriege im Irak und Afghanistan hohe Einschaltquoten hatte. Die Brandchannel-Rangliste im asiatisch-pazifischen Raum wird von den drei Unterhaltungs-Elektronikkonzernen Sony, Samsung und LG angeführt. (pmz/c't)  

02.02.05 14:13

7149 Postings, 8780 Tage Levkewer mehr wissen will,

arbeitet das hier mal durch - sehr interessante Details

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/320193/...20/a05-2329_110q.htm  

08.02.05 15:56

7149 Postings, 8780 Tage Levkeöde, nur am Steigen o. T.

15.02.05 16:42

7149 Postings, 8780 Tage Levkedie langweiligste Aktie der Welt - gähn o. T.

15.02.05 16:52

44542 Postings, 8554 Tage Slaterso ein Mist heute schon 88 $ o. T.

Seite:
   Antwort einfügen - nach oben